It has come to my attention that some older versions of the pixmap engine have a bug that causes severe visual glitches when transparency is used in menubars. If your menubars and panel indicators are messed up, go to the Fixes page of the Orta Settings Manager and check the option ("Select this if your menus and panel have visual glitches"). This will also remove transparency from the Gnome Menu Bar applet, so if you use this applet with the flat panel option to make the panel transparent, you are out of luck. INSTALLATION : Ubuntu PPA :Please make absolutely sure you have removed any previous instances of the theme before installing via ppa.
To add the ppa and install the theme and the settings manager, type this on a terminal :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nikount/orta-desktop
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install orta-theme
To install the emerald decorators :
sudo apt-get install orta-emerald-decorators
To install the Xfwm4 decorators :
sudo apt-get install orta-xfwm4-decorators
You can find the Orta Settings Manager
under the Preferences category of your Main Menu Install manually :
Extract the extractme.tar.gz archive that you find inside the zip, to a folder of your choosing. Inside, you will find the theme (Orta.tar.gz) and additional decorators (Orta-Squared.tar.gz and Orta-Old.tar.gz) along with some folders. First, right click on OrtaSettingsManager.py and make sure that the "Allow executing file as program" option is checked. Run it and press the uninstall button to remove any old versions of Orta from your system. You can install the theme and decorators manually by dragging and dropping them to the Gnome Appearance Preferences window, or you can use the installer on the Orta Settings Manager (recommended if you want to install for all users including root). Now you can go through the various tabs of the Settings Manager and setup the theme according to your preferences. When you are done click the save button. Make sure you select another theme on the Appearance Preferences dialog that pops up, and then go back to Orta in order to apply your changes.
Leave the orta folder alone, it includes the Orta Settings Manager files
Inside the Chromium folder, you will find a Chromium theme and different sizes of scrollbars to install.
Inside the Awn folder you will find an Avant Window Navigator lucido style. There are also 3 emerald themes inside the emerald folder. LICENCE :
The pixmaps are licensed under the Creative Commons non commercial share alike license, and the code under GPL v3. I've also included the original xcf sources of the pixmaps so that anyone can easily modify the theme to his/hers preferences ADDITIONAL LINKS : WhiteGlass Docky theme for Orta by Kushcreator Firefox, awn and emerald themes for Orta by Aboettger Awn light and dark themes for Orta by Vortex0965 Openbox Orta theme
by SlugFortyFiveCHANGELOG Additions:
- The round emerald decorator now has a default layout variant.
- New Nautilus Elementary breadcrumbs style. Fixes:
- Synaptic fix for gtk2-engines-pixbuf version 2.20 and older.
- Main menu icon size reverted to 22.KNOWN BUGS
- Some Older versions of the pixbuf engine have a bug that causes visual glitches when transparent pixmaps are used on the menubar (workaround available in the fixes tab).
- Dark tabs spacing and text color is rendered incorrectly by non Gtk apps such as XUL, Java Swing and QT (unfixable, different tabs style workaround implemented).
- The window gradient is not rendered by non Gtk apps such as XUL, Java Swing and QT (partial fix for XUL, causes some problems with firefox, workaround for other apps available in Gradients page of the settings manager).
- Separator lines in OpenOffice cause visual artifacts due to transparency (unfixable).
- Pidgin active and normal tabs both use the active color. This is an application bug, report it to the devs.
- Opera 11 alpha menus redraw the transparent gradient on top of itself over and over again. This is an application bug, report it to the devs (workaround available in Fixes page of the settings manager).